The Revierderby: The Biggest Rivalry in Bundesliga History

Hello everyone, today I will be talking about the greatest rivalry German soccer has ever seen. This fierce rivalry involves the two clubs Borussia Dortmund and FC Schalke 04. This extremely fierce rivalry dates back to May 3rd, 1940 with a Schalke 04 win 4-2, won mostly by Schalke’s short quick passes. Schalke won all 3 matches until 1927. The two teams never met until the Gauliga was made (now Bundesliga, which means federation league.) in the next years in the Gauliga, 16 matches were played and Schalke won 14, drew 1, and lost 1. But finally, Dortmund came back and won Westphalia OVER SCHALKE. In the late 40’s to early 60’s, Dortmund dominated Schalke winning 9 of their 13 first meetings. In all from 1947-1963, Dortmund won 25 of the 32 matches. In 1963, the Bundesliga was created, and Dortmund continued their dominance winning 8 of their first 10 meetings with Schalke. Until the 2000s matches ping-ponged back and forth between Dortmund and Schalke. In the past 20 years Dortmund has been of dominance in the Bundesliga, and Schalke has been falling behind the ranks in the Bundesliga 2. In the best way a Dortmund fan like myself can put it, Bors In conclusion, Dortmund has developed tinier grudge rivalries with FC Bayern Munchen, located in Munich. Dortmund faces Bayern in ‘Der Klassiker’ (the Classic), but that rivalry is another post. But back to the rivalry, here are some stats.

BIGGEST WIN

Schalke 10 Dortmund 0

NUMBER OF WINS
Schalke 60           Dortmund 56

LATEST MEETING

Dortmund 2-2 Schalke

March 11, 2023

Dortmund’s Signal Iduna Park

Schalke’s VELTINS-Arena

Picture 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westfalenstadion

Picture 2:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_AufSchalke

That’s all for today. I hope you enjoyed!

P.S. Now I’ve gotta go delete these Schalke photos from my camera roll.

One thought on “The Revierderby: The Biggest Rivalry in Bundesliga History”